This industry offers employment prospects for you if you are interested in a career as a technical officer or technical assistant across many industry sectors such as:
- mineral and paper production
- school laboratories.
The Tasmanian Polytechnic's laboratory operations qualifications can lead to a range of employment opportunities including:
Laboratory Technician/ Technical Officer
Assist scientists in the physical, chemical, biological or life sciences by collecting and preparing samples, carrying out experiments, making measurements with scientific equipment, recording results and presenting results for critical analysis.
Laboratory officers may perform the following tasks:
- clean, maintain and set up equipment for use in experiments
- collect, classify and preserve specimens and samples
- perform diagnostic and other scientific tests on specimens such as human, animal and plant tissues, food or water, to examine chemical, cellular or other constituents, bacterial content and chemical contamination
- perform routine mathematical calculations and prepare graphs
- use computers and other technology
- carry out routine, quality-assurance checks on production line samples.