Assistance is on hand if you have a disability
Do you want help to select the right course, advice on enrolment and or additional support so you can access facilities to successfully complete your studies?
We can help you with
- Flexible Attendance
- Access and Mobility
- Note taking
- Assessment / Exam Support
- Assistive Equipment
- Support Groups
- Confidential Support
Get A Guide 'Students with Disabilities'.
For hearing and speech Impaired
- South SMS 0407 820 984
- North SMS 0400 619 910
- Burnie SMS 0419 390 403
- Devonport SMS 0400 518 644
- National Relay Service 133 677 or National Relay Website
Get Help with Pre-enrolment
Before you enrol it is very important that you contact us. We can assist you with information regarding course options, career path planning, put you in touch with the 'right' person and help you complete the forms, interviews and applications.
Does your disability give you an extra workload or limit your study time? You may be able to:
- have extra time to do a course
- take fewer subjects
- spend less time on campus and study at home. Ask us how.
Access and Mobility
We will ensure you have the access you need. We will provide campus orientation and mobility training if required to ensure that you can move as freely as possible around the campus. We will also provide you with specific information on building access, the location of accessible toilets and phones.
If you are deaf or hearing impaired, an interpreter can communicate with you what is happening in the classroom. The interpreter will use your preferred sign language and, as far as possible, communicate all comments made during the class. They will also communicate your comments to the rest of the class.
Note takers go to classes with you to take class notes. They can be somebody brought in to take notes or another class member who has been trained in notetaking. Alternatively you can use assistive equipment in class. For example, you may prefer to use a computer, a hearing loop or a tape recorder.
Exam / Assessment Support
Exams and assessments can be carried out in different ways and assistance is flexible to meet your specific needs. We can provide you with:
- extra time
- a writer or a reader
- exams rewritten in plain English
- interpreters for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired
- individual exam rooms
- assistive equipment, e.g. computers, reading and writing aids, special seating or lighting, different formats such as Braille or large print
- work for assessment in flexible formats, e.g. oral assessments, multiple choice questions, tape recordings, video recordings
A variety of assistive equipment is available for students with disabilities.
Talk to us so we can advise you on availability and help you to select the equipment which best suits your needs. Some of the equipment available includes:
- tape recorders
- lumbar supports
- ergonomic furniture
- computer aids and software
- modified furniture
- computers with speech input program
- Braille transcripts
- audio systems such as FM loops
- electronic scooters
Support groups are available to provide opportunities for mutual support as well as the chance to have input into the services provided.